Friday, October 3, 2008

Week #6

The 2008 picture is getting a little more clear. I know better than to write off any of the powerhouses with 1 loss such as Georgia, Florida, and USC. However, the teams sitting undefeated do have a clear path to the national championship if they take care of business on the field. And the top 5 reflects this. You got LSU and Alabama in the SEC. And Oklahoma, Texas, or Missouri in the Big 12. The great thing is that these debates will be settled on the field. Not this week, however.

So here's a look at my 5 games from week 6.

Florida State(+2) at Miami -- MY PICK: MIAMI, GEORGE'S: MIAMI; These two former powerhouses are still struggling and so this game has lost much of its luster. Plus for the first time it won't be played in the old Orange Bowl. 2 pts is not enough to make me trust FSU's offense. Miami's Robert Marve looks like the better player of the two first year QB's and the Hurricane's should have a slight home advantage. This one could be ugly but I'll take Miami.

Florida(-24.5) at Arkansas -- MY PICK: FLORIDA, GEORGE'S: FLORIDA; This looks like an easy one. We'll see. After losing at home last week to Ole Miss, the Gators have to be pissed. If they aren't or don't play like it this week, Coach Urban Meyer isn't doing his job. And I don't believe that. The Razorbacks already took a whupping this year at home to Alabama. Expect another one to QB Tim Tebow tomorrow. 25 points isn't nearly enough.

Kentucky (+15) at Alabama -- MY PICK: KENTUCKY, GEORGE'S: ALABAMA; This is one of those famous SEC trap games. And Kentucky coach Rich Brooks knows all about that after winning a trap game last year against future National Champion LSU. When you're sitting pretty in the SEC as Alabama currently is, it's so easy to look ahead to big games against the top teams. But in the SEC, even the bottom feeders like Kentucky can show up to play. They simply have superior talent than other such schools in other conferences. Alabama wins but Kentucky keeps it within 2 TD's.

Oklahoma (-24.5) at Baylor -- MY PICK: OKLAHOMA, GEORGE'S: BAYLOR; Sometimes I just don't understand these lines. And that's why I know that there are so many complicated factors that go into the numbers. This spread is simply too low. I know this is a road game. And I recognize that Oklahoma outright lost a similar road game last year at Colorado. But I don't think that happens here. And I don't see Baylor as building a program like Dan Hawkins is doing in Colorado. This is a good example of where the talent pool on weaker Big 12 teams is not the same as the SEC like I discussed above. Look for Oklahoma to win by 30 points even on the road.

Texas (-12.5) at Colorado -- MY PICK: COLORADO, GEORGE'S: COLORADO; I'll stay in the Big 12 for my brother Russ. This is a trap game. Texas must have its eyes on an undefeated Oklahoma in forthcoming the Red River Shootout. But here's the problem. Colorado is not Baylor. So while I expect the Sooners to take care of business in Waco, I could see the Longhorns stumbling in Boulder. The Buffs are coming off a bad loss last week to Florida State. They can redeem themselves in conference by keeping this one close. I liked QB Cody Hawkins when I saw him earlier in the year in a home win against West Virginia. I'll take the points here in a close game.

JTB YEARLY RECORD: 17-7-1
GW YEARLY RECORD: 10-14-1

No comments: