Monday, August 4, 2008

That time of year

I'd be remiss if I open this journal by describing how how much I anticipate this time of year in the sporting world. Baseball is OK up to the All-Star game, but then but it hits that mid-season point where I generally lose interest. Same thing with Nascar and auto racing in general, which seem to peak in the spring months. Basketball as usual seems a distant memory. And I don't even remember what a puck is, confusing it with some sort of vulgar curse word I don't want my kids saying. And so as the long hot summer rolls on and I consider turning off the TV in favor of something that may actually prove productive....ALONG COMES FOOTBALL!

And it comes in full force with both the college and NFL seasons ready to begin with a bang. TV networks schedule meaningful primetime games earlier every year. Before you know it, it seems there's a game of some sort that can hold my attention on every night of the week. Then suddenly as if baseball realizes it has some serious competition, that sport grows more interesting as the weather gets colder. We have September playoff races and then the playoffs. And Nascar's Chase for the Championship gets underway and provides a few moments of late season drama. And as the football season continues, the unexpected never ceases to occur and to amaze. America is captivated. The holidays approach and we have presents and food and football.

My wife Dana sheds a brief tear. Suddenly order has been fully restored to my sporting world!



Good memories: Florida QB Chris Leak hoists the 2006 BCS National Championship trophy.

No comments: